Wednesday 4 May 2011

'To be a Gleek, or not to be a Gleek'; Is that really the question?


In my travels visiting the varying degrees of life in this part of the Church called The Salvation Army I have not found something more polarising of people's views other than the topic of Glee. Glee: TV gold or popular trash, musical genius or cheesy outdated anthems. It appears no matter who you are, Glee very much has the Marmite factor attached to it, which has resulted in a powerful and determined faction of society now affectionately labelled 'Gleeks'! Rejoiced by those who are and mocked and scorned by those who aren't.

Therefore to Gleek or not to Gleek was certainly my question some 18 -24 months ago when Sue Sylvester's Adidas track suit wearing scouse fashion sense first hit my TV screen. Now to make the Gleek journey more interesting I must point out that I hate musicals. There is something about watching grown men and women dealing with the tragedies and dilemmas of life before breaking into song in one seamless continuum that just doesn't sit right with me. In my mind, sing or act, pick one not both. But with Glee it was different, for some reason the use of popular anthems, which reminded me of my childhood growing up in the 80's, just worked alongside the bizarre yet hilarious humour. To others it was pointless, boring and g(l)eeky, to me it was brilliant, entertaining and cool. After a few weeks of uncertainty and 'conversion' I was hooked, I had become a Gleek.

So why on Earth am I telling you this seemingly pointless aspect of my life. Well lets just rewind  to yesterday. Myself and Sara had been away all weekend working at The Salvation Army's Roots Conference. There we were challenged about our voice being a voice of hope and transformation, seeing God in every aspect of our lives. We returned home to our Sky+ player filled with TV goodness, one of which was of course Glee. As we settled into our sofa with our Gleek mugs (losers I know), I was suddenly challenged with one question. Am I ashamed of our Saviour?

You see I encounter people who will mock, scorn and berate me for my Gleekiness (if that is even a word) and I will respond with a defence of my glee friends, the humour, the music. I will defend that which I believe is one of the best TV shows ever!! (Big statement I know). I also realised that I am not a gleek by saying I am, I am a gleek because I watch every week expectantly, I own the albums, I'm engaged in the humour, I want to know if Mr Schuster and the Miss Pillsbury will finally get together. I am a gleek in deeds not just in words.

The big question is am I as committed to my Saviour as I am to Glee?

Do I surround myself only with those who believe in Jesus so I don't have to stand with him (and love with him) in a society that ever increasingly rejects him? Do I truly heed his words that I should expect to be mocked, scorned and berated for my faith (John 15:20)? Do I strive to ensure my life is alive with him, for him? That I am Christian not because I say I am but because my actions and commitment to the cause show that I am (James 2). Do I read scripture expectantly? Do I worship him unreservedly? Do I want to know what he has planned for me next and how this life will pan out for me with his Spirit guiding me?

Jesus said "Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels." Luke 9: 26

I am not ashamed to be a Gleek, but am I more willing to defend that position and live out that position when compared to my life with Christ? The heart of this question may be relevant to more of us if we were to honestly reflect on areas of our life. I believe the reason for this juxtaposed dilemma is simply that living out our faith results in transformation, which from experience, is challenging, difficult and hard. Defending a TV programme doesn't. Living out and standing beside, and with Christ, in this world changes our core being, it shines light in the dark places of our existence we believe we only know. Not being ashamed of Christ is less about speaking out in the world for Christ and more about allowing Christ to speak into our own world.

Glee doesn't change me, I move towards it's value for cheesy 80's pop and strange humour so that I will defend it's greatness. The beauty of the Gospel is that Christ moved alongside us (John 1) and fights for our position, that we may be transformed into his likeness and have life in all it's fullness (John 10:10). We don't go to him but he comes to us.

Why is it easier to defend my gleekiness? Because it doesn't affect me or ultimately matter. Christ's Love, Sacrifice and Resurrection is a much more worthy part of my life to defend and align myself to.

"To be a gleek, or not to be a gleek?"; that really isn't the question... 'To follow or not to follow?' now that really is...

No comments:

Post a Comment