Tuesday 20 September 2011

Running the race is only worth it at the end.....


This weekend I embarked on a fresh challenge in my life. I had entered the Great North Run, a 13.1 mile stretch of road with a few hills sandwiched in the middle, a hot sunny day which turned wet and cold and I was all alone with no one to cheer me on. I enjoy running (sometimes) and I genuinely do enjoy the challenge of long distance races, figuring out whether your body can hack the pavement pounding and deciding whether you can speed up to beat that time you want. It's addictive and it's fun.

ASICS is a well know shoe manufacturer for runners. The term comes from a Latin Phrase, 'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano', which loosely translates as 'A sound mind in a sound body'. Running does that believe it or not, it gives you this releasing of your worries, your thoughts, your stress as well as aiding your physical fitness and health. Some researches would also argue it builds character, giving us opportunities to problem solve and use our fight or flight survival instincts in ways not seen normally in our day to day lives. Running on a whole, the experts would say, is much more than being fit. On my way from Newcastle to South Shields using my running feet I had a dull feeling about the race, this race I was not enjoying, what spurred me on was getting a good time and receiving that finishes medal at the end.

2 Hours 18 minutes and 54 seconds later I crossed the line, a hard 13.1miles completed, psychological challenges overcame and I felt...... Indifferent??? I crossed the line, picked up my bag, got my medal, went to the celebratory reception with Christian Aid (Who I was running for), got in my car and drove to Nottingham. My indifference may have been due to being on my own, no one to share the occasion with, but on that long stop start drive to Nottingham I got thinking about something else. The only reason I did that race was for the feeling at the end, the joy at getting a time I could be proud of, the celebration with friends and family and the feeling I had achieved something. If I never started with those feelings and spurring thoughts then I would never have completed the race, or kept running when my legs said stop!!

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 9

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Again in Galatians 5 he states

You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth?

And finally the writer to the Hebrews states in Hebrews 12

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us

There's one issue that my journeying thoughts from the Great North Run left me with. Maybe the reason why so many fall in this race, get fed up and settle for mediocrity in their discipleship, don't persevere, get knocked down and struggle to get back up is that we truly don't know what we're running for. We don't get this kingdom of Heaven, these glorious riches in Christ, this finish line. We can't see anything but the hills, steep inclines, cold winters of training and sore knees ahead. I have met countless Salvationists (some officers) who look as if they have ran spiritual Marathons everyday for their entire lives, so bereft of joy, freedom and fulfillment and who just don't see the kingdom awaiting them, the kingdom that they are running for today and everyday.

In this race of life and discipleship we not only need to know what we are running for, the finish line that is to come, but also that our running, our living life builds character, perseverance and endurance. We get spiritually fit, mentally strong and full of grace. This race, this discipleship is a win-win. The end will be amazing and the run, though hard, hurtful and often broken is building in us a strength which comes for him called Christ.

I left Newcastle a little deflated at not sharing my triumph with my Wife, Son and parents, but on my drive to Nottingham was deeply thankful that the race I run each day will conclude with cheers, celebrations and joy from my Saviour, my Family and everyone in between. All I have to do is put one step in front of the other and don't stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment